Wednesday, January 6, 2010

100 Blog Challenge - #3 - Making Changes For The Better

So it's the new year and time to make some changes. Every year I sit down and make a list of goals. I don't call them resolutions because resolutions get broken like the first week. I call them goals - short, mid and long term - for the year.

Last year I had a few goals:

- to be single for a year - accomplished
- to buy a house - I tried and came close
- to sponsor more women and be more active in my community - I think I succeeded
- to be more financially responsible - I did pretty good on that end
- to visit my friend Kaushal in Atlanta - accomplished
- to vist my grandpa and grandma Tejeda in Nebraska - did it
- to make more trips back home to Cali - done
- to have more fun - definitely accomplished ;)
- to make new friends - nailed that
- to laugh more - definitely laughed till my sides hurt
- to get to know myself better - I did
- pray for others every day - did that most of the time

After looking back on 365 days of blood, sweat, tears and triumph it's empowering to see how far I've come in just one year. Granted the past 12 months have been full of ups and downs but overall the transformation process to a better me has been amazing.

That being said its time to do some more growing - because as an eternal student of life we never stop growing. So for 2010 here is what I propose for myself to be a better person:

- Get a closer connection to God - sometimes I forget who's really running the show, think that I have all the power and then get gently reminded who's really in charge. See when I'm driving the car I tend to make a mess of things and once the mess is made, that's usually when I'm willing to turn to God and ask for help. I'd like to circumvent the mess process this year and just stay close to God in the first place. That starts with a little prayer, meditation and service work.

- Be on time everywhere I go. I once had a teacher who said: Early is on time, on time is late and late is unforgivable. Every time I'm even a few minutes late to something that phrase rings in my head. I know I'm late, you know I'm late, now what am I going to do about it. My best friend Diana calls it arrogance - thinking the world will wait for you. Well the real world won't wait for me and really it is arrogance regardless of the reason for my tardiness. Planes don't wait, meetings don't wait, sponsees, clients and bosses shouldn't have to wait and I shouldn't be late. Enuf said!

- Rebuild my savings. Last year I started to build up a nice savings and over the past few months I had some big expenses that drained it. That killed me to see my little nest egg go to $0 :( So for 2010 I get to be disciplined with my budget, stop spoiling myself with "presents to me" and start setting money aside again for my emgergency fund.

- Find and buy my dream home - I worked really hard last year to improve my credit, raise the money for my down payment and be in the position to buy a home - the only problem...I didn't find the right home :( So this year my goal is to find my dream home - right size, right neighborhood, right price.

Other Goals:

- Pray for others
- Do my gratitude list everyday
- Get a promotion at work
- Be a good girlfriend
- Zumba twice a week
- Visit my grandparents in Nebraska
- Make a spring/summer trip to Cali
- Visit Kaushal where ever she is
- Take a trip to New York to visit my Cousin Jackie
- Have my brother visit Texas
- Have more fun this year than last
- Dance more this year than last
- Take Salsa lessons
- Go skydiving
- Laugh a lot

So that's it. Those are my goals for 2010. I may add a few in as the year progresses. I do have a brand new passport that is itching for some stamps so I'll let you know if some international travel gets added to the list. Feel free to let me know if I need to add some things to my goal list ;)

1 comment: